![]() |
Alright I have been trying to look into car seats a little. I know it may seem a little early, however I have been trying to find out what ones are more safe. A couple of people have told me that all car seats have ratings. I looked into the ratings and found out they were not saftey ratings, they were ease of use ratings. After doing a little homework I found out that the ease of use ratings are issued by NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Saftey Administration), they only issue the ease of use ratings to the car seats that pass Federal Safety Standards and strict crash performance standards. This makes me feel a little better, but it still doesn't answer my initial question.
So I am going to start a little discussion. I want to know what everyone who has had either kids or car seats tell me what car seats they like, or dislike and why.
I am not really a name brand person, so I don't care if is a brand I have never heard of. I just want to know everyones thoughts.

4 comments:
I have nothing of value to say. I was totally up to date with kade, but that was almost 10 years ago. By the time Lucy hit the scene, we just made sure it buckled and we were good to go.
No, that isn't entirely true. But it has been a long time since I researched out car seats. I will say this: get one that is light and easy to flip the handle back and forth. Babies start out super light, but before long your are lugging a 19 pound baby in a 19 pound carseat and that is no fun.
I haven't found a carseat that is easy to use. Mainly, because your other friend is right about lugging around a huge baby in an awkward seat. I got my carseat at Shopko and I love everything about it except there are handles that you squeeze to lay down the "roll-bar", and I can't squeeze them hard enough so it kills my hands. It is made by Baby Trend. I also recommend getting a carseat that attaches to a base that remains in your car all the time. Some people like to get two bases, one for each car so they don't have to move the base from car to car. Sorry this is so long but I like to hear about stuff like this too.
I agree with Victoria. Get a two bases. It's so nice to have two bases for times when you happen to go in another car.
I don't really know what to recommend other than that because things change so quick, but I am super impressed that you are looking up the safety ratings. I think that is so important and I'm glad to know that my little neice (haha I think it's a girl) will be in good hands.
One thing that FREAKED me out when my kids were babies is if other people were in the backseat with the baby, sometimes they would "try to help" and unlatch their base seat belt. I wouldn't realize this and the next time I put the baby in assumed it was latched as it always was. Keep checking to make sure the base is secure if other people get in the car!
Sorry I can't help you much!
My friend said the best way to choose a car seat is to put something weighting 20 lbs. in the car seat you like and carry it around if it is comfortable get it. Mom
Post a Comment